I created this tutorial to show my customers how to use the oil cleansing method. Although these products are no longer available, the principals of oil cleansing remain the same! You can create your homemade versions of the cleansers by using some simpler ingredients and choosing the oils that you probably already have in your cupboard. Suitable oils for cleansing are:
- Olive Oil – quite a heavy oil, good for dry, mature or weather-beaten skin
- Almond Oil – great for sensitive skin
- Avocado Oil – for all skin types, especially dry and mature skins
- Coconut Oil – try for any skin type, although I’d be cautious with blemished skin
- Hazelnut Oil – perfect for oily skin
Here’s the low down on the oil cleansing method:
- Choose the oil cleanser for your skin type
- Put four to five pumps of oil on your palm
- Rub all over the face and eyes
- Wipe off with a cotton pad
- You need to follow up with a toner to get rid of all the dirt and excess oil.
- Add toner and wipe it off
- If you have a lot of make up or still feel greasy, do two rounds.
After cleansing your skin might feel a little oily. Don’t worry about that too much, your skin will absorb the remaining oil in a few moments. If your skin is not very dry, you probably don’t need to follow up with a moisturiser.
Bonus tip not featured in the video! If you have time, try wiping the oil off with a warm wet cloth. Take a muslin or other soft cloth, soak it in hot water and place over your face for 20 seconds, then wipe the face with the cloth. Repeat until all oil and dirt has come off.